Jeremy and Ronnie

Jeremy and Ronnie

Monday, February 8, 2010

Andrew Parker Collins

Fourteen years ago, I gave birth to my oldest son. I named him Andrew Parker Collins. Yes, I was a young mother. Yes, most people doubted my ability to care for him. Yes, he changed my life completely and I have never been the same. I have watched a young boy grow into a young man.

I have watched obsessions with toy cars change to longing for a car of his own (in a few years of course). I have seen him liking music grow to him playing music. I think that one of the things that has stood out to me the most happened in the last year. When I was placed in the hospital in August I was certain that it would be Ronnie who had the hardest time. To my surprise it was Andy. He really missed me being at home. He used to come and spend the night with me up at the hospital and we would play on the computer or sometimes he would sit with me in my hospital bed and watch TV beside me. When I got home I realized that while I was gone Andy would sleep on the floor in Ronnie's room so that he wouldn't be afraid. Ronnie asked him to keep sleeping in his room even a little while after I was home. He did this for his brother with no complaints. It really touched my heart to know that he was trying to help and look out for his brother in my absence.
Sometimes I do not know how he feels. I don't know what it is like to lose a sibling, I do know that he is always very strong. On days when he knows I am sad he hugs me and tells me he loves me. He doesn't ask me what is wrong, he knows when I am hurting. He is such a sweet kid. Even when he is being a full out teenager with his headphones on during dinner or banging away on his drum set in his room, he is still my little Andy. No matter how big he gets.
Happy Birthday Andy. I love you very much!!!!

3 comments:

The Claytons said...

So sweet! I talked about him at work today. I told Tara that my nephew is 14 yrs old today. She said Wow! I said I know... I said he has been in our lives for 7 yrs now! Christopher is 7 and will be 8 soon so does that mean 8 years? Whatever the case.... he seems like he has been in our lives forever. I feel like I have watched him grow up from baby on. He is such a kind, sweet, loving kiddo and I am so proud to call him my nephew. I love you Andy! Happy Birthday :O)

Nana and Papa said...

Happy Birthday Andy!

We may not have had the privilege to have been your grandparents for all of your life. But,we sure are lucky to be able to share most of it! We couldn't love you more :-) And we always appreciate your special hugs.
We are very proud of the young man you are becoming. Keep up those things that make you so special...your keen sense of humor...your drumming..loving the Beatles like your Mom...being the best big brother ever and a caring son to your Mom and Jeremy.
Hope you're having a great birthday.

Love,
Nana and Papa

Crystal M. said...

This post really hits home with me since my oldest turned 14 in Dec, I was 19 when I had him and he was also a NICU baby like Eva. But he is also my baby who needs the most support sometimes, he also had to grow up so much when Eva was born. My heart breaks for him so much knowing I ask a lot of him and everything.
Happy Birthday Andrew I hope your day went well.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

About Me

My name is Crystal. I am 31 years old. I am married and the mother of three beautiful children. Andy is the oldest. He is 14 and loves to play the drums and play video games. Ronnie is next at 6 years old. He loves to play outside and run around all over the place. He is a true blue boy through and through. Jolianne is our sweet angel up in Heaven. She went to be with our Lord on January 3, 2010. I am not working at the moment and I enjoy spending quality time with my children.

backbround